Looking to make the transition from skinny jeans to mom jeans? It’s actually easier than you think! In this article, we provide a step-by-step guide on how to turn your skinny jeans into the perfect mom jeans – without breaking a sweat. So whether you want to add a little bit of flair to your wardrobe or are looking for something more comfortable and stylish, this guide has got you covered!
Turning Skinny Jeans Into The Perfect Mom Jeans
There’s no denying that skinny jeans are comfortable and easy to wear. But sometimes, you just want a little more room to breathe. That’s where mom jeans come in.
Mom jeans are relaxed and comfortable, but still stylish. If you’re not sure how to turn your skinny jeans into mom jeans, don’t worry. We’ve got you covered with this step-by-step guide.
First, start by cutting your skinny jeans at the knee. This will give you a little extra room to work with.
Next, use a seam ripper to loosen the seams around the waistband of your jeans. This will make them easier to pull on and off.
Once the seams are loosened, put on your jeans and use a fabric marker to mark where you want the new waistline to be. Make sure the mark is even all the way around.
Now it’s time to sew! Using a sewing machine or needle and thread, sew along the new waistline you just created. Be sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of your seam to reinforce it.
Finally, try on your new mom jeans and enjoy your extra room!
What You Need to Make Skinny Jeans Into Mom Jeans
If you’re looking to turn your skinny jeans into the perfect mom jeans, there are a few things you’ll need. First, you’ll need a pair of skinny jeans that fit well and are comfortable. Next, you’ll need a seam ripper and some scissors. Finally, you’ll need some fabric glue or a sewing machine.
With your supplies gathered, it’s time to start altering your skinny jeans. First, use the seam ripper to remove the seams from the inner legs of your jeans. This will give you more room to work with when adding fabric later on.
Next, cut off the bottom hem of your jeans. You can make this as short or as long as you’d like, depending on how cropped you want your mom jeans to be.
Now it’s time to add some fabric to the bottom of your jeans. This will help create that trademark “mom jean” look. Cut a piece of fabric that’s about twice the width of your leg opening, and then fold it in half lengthwise. Glue or sew this strip of fabric to the bottom of each leg opening, making sure that the raw edges are tucked in so they don’t show.
Step by Step Directions:
1. Find a pair of skinny jeans that fit you well in the waist and hips.
2. Cut off the bottom of the jeans to create a raw hem.
3. Use a seam ripper to loosen the threads at the waistband so that it can be cinched in with a belt.
4. Try on the jeans and cinch them in at the waist with a belt to create your desired look.
5. Trim any excess fabric from the waistband if necessary.
6. Enjoy your new mom jeans!
Taking the Measurements
When it comes to finding the perfect pair of mom jeans, taking your measurements is key. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you get started:
1. Waist: Measure around the smallest part of your waist, making sure the tape measure is level all the way around.
2. Hips: Measure around the fullest part of your hips, again making sure the tape measure is level.
3. Inseam: This is the distance from your crotch to the bottom of your leg. To measure this, put on a pair of pants that fit you well and measure from the inseam (the seam that runs along the inside of your leg) to the bottom of the leg.
4. Rise: This is the distance from the crotch to the top of your waistband. To measure this, put on a pair of pants that fit you well and measure from the inseam (the seam that runs along the inside of your leg) to the top of the waistband.
5. Thigh: Measure around your thigh at its widest point.
6. Leg opening: Measure across the bottom opening of your pant leg.
Sewing the Hem
Assuming you have already cut your jeans to the desired length, it is time to sew the hem. To do this, first fold up the bottom of the jean leg to create a clean edge. Then, using a sewing machine or needle and thread, sew along the edge of the fold. Be sure to use a strong stitch so that it will not come undone easily. Once you have sewn the entire hem, try on your jeans to make sure they fit well and that the hem is not too tight. If everything looks good, congratulations! You have now successfully turned your skinny jeans into mom jeans.
Making a Faux Fly
Whether you’re expecting a baby or simply want the comfort of a relaxed fit, mom jeans are having a moment. If you don’t want to spend the money on a new pair of jeans, though, don’t worry – you can easily turn your skinny jeans into mom jeans with just a few alterations. Here’s how:
1. Start by putting on your skinny jeans and using a fabric marker to mark where you want the leg openings to be. You’ll want them to be about 2-3 inches wider than they currently are.
2. Cut along the marked lines, being careful not to cut too much fabric off.
3. Hem the newly cut leg openings by folding the raw edge under twice and sewing it in place.
4. Next, use the fabric marker to mark where you want the waistband to sit – typically, this will be about an inch or two higher than your natural waistline.
5. Cut along the marked line, again being careful not to cut too much fabric off.
6. To create the faux fly, sew a horizontal line of stitching across the front of the jeans just below the waistband (this will be where your button placket will eventually go). Then, sew a vertical line of stitching down each side of the front of the jeans, stopping at the horizontal line of stitching you just created. Finally, cut small slits in between each vertical line of stitching – be sure not to cut
There are a few things that can make or break a good pair of jeans, and one of those things is pockets. If your skinny jeans don’t have pockets, or if they have tiny little pockets that can barely fit anything, then it’s time to give them an upgrade.
Adding pockets to jeans is actually pretty easy, even if you’re not a sewing expert. All you need is a needle and thread, and a little bit of patience.
First, decide where you want the pockets to go. The most common place to add pockets is on the hips, but you can also add them to the back or even the sides if you want. Once you’ve decided where to put the pockets, mark the spot with a pencil or chalk.
Next, cut two pieces of fabric for the pocket lining. These should be about twice as wide as the pocket opening and long enough to reach from the top of the pocket opening to the bottom.
Now it’s time to sew the pockets onto the jeans. Start by sewing along the top edge of each pocket lining, leaving a small opening at one end. Then turn the fabric inside out so that the seam is on the inside and press it flat with an iron.
Pin each pocket lining in place on the jeans (right side up), matching up the raw edges with the chalk marks you made earlier. Sew around all four sides of each pocket lining,
Making Belt Loops and Waistband
If you’re looking to make your skinny jeans into mom jeans, one of the most important things you’ll need to do is add some belt loops and a waistband. This will help to give them the signature high-waisted look that mom jeans are known for.
To make belt loops, simply cut a few strips of fabric (you can use old denim or another sturdy fabric) and sew them onto the waistband of your jeans. For the waistband, you’ll want to cut a strip of fabric that’s about twice as wide as your belt loops. Fold it in half lengthwise and sew it onto the top of your jeans.
Once you’ve added the belt loops and waistband, you can proceed with the rest of the steps in this guide to complete your mom jeans transformation!
Tips For Making Mom Jeans Look Good
1. Mom jeans should be tight in the waist and hips, but loose in the legs.
2. To make mom jeans look good, pair them with a fitted top and heels.
3. If you want to wear mom jeans during the day, style them with a denim shirt and sneakers.
4. For a night out, tuck in a blouse into your mom jeans and add some jewelry.
Skinny jeans into mom jeans
We hope that this step-by-step guide to turning skinny jeans into the perfect mom jeans was helpful and gave you some ideas on how to create a pair of jeans that fits your style. Whether you decide to take the DIY route or go straight for a store bought pair, mom jeans are an essential piece in any modern wardrobe. With so many stylish options available right now, there is something out there for everyone! So try it out and be sure to share your favorite looks with us using #momjeansstyle.