In the modern world, only the laziest people do not think about learning of a foreign language. Why? Because there are so many benefits of knowing two and more languages that it is even difficult to count in one article. Let’s imagine that you have already decided to learn a second language. Where to start?
- Find motivation. Think about what you need your target language for. Maybe you, like your cousin, want to live abroad with your family, or, like your friend, to communicate with foreign colleagues at work. Or maybe you want to learn it for planning a trip around the world, read books, and watch favorite movies in the original or want to know foreign languages just to motivate your children and grandchildren in the future.
- Drop stereotypes. Yes, it is better to learn a language at an early age, but this is not an axiom. It doesn’t matter how old you are. Even if you are at 50+, you can successfully master new languages. The main thing here is your desire. In addition, adults have several trump cards up their sleeve: discipline, interest, the ability to analyze information, the ability to control their attention. Children and adults need to be taught differently because they perceive information in their own way. Children absorb knowledge like sponges, but are not able to analyze and see cause-effect relationships. And adults, on the contrary: memory is already failing, but developed logic and rich life experience will come to the rescue.
- Make a lesson plan. Even if you attend courses for learning languages, you should still practice even at home. For example, learn 10-20 new words a day, read 20 minutes in your target language, practice grammar 2-3 times a week. If you do these small things regularly, you will quickly notice the progress. Plus here a language learning application can be a great helper for you. They have certain features that will let you achieve your goal sooner. With the help of educational content like language learning websites, online programs, videos, podcasts, and apps, you can not only learn fast but also make your studying fun and diverse. According to the ComboApp education marketing agency, e-learning will only continue to grow in 2021. There is a huge variety of educational digital products that can give the necessary knowledge while staying safe at home and saving you time.
- Set a goal. The goal should be specific. For example, in a year to reach the Intermediate level and start reading literature in the original. It is really important to clearly set a goal and decide what you want to achieve and how quickly. It is difficult to immediately learn to speak fluently, write correctly, and at the same time prepare for the exam. Decide what is needed first so as not to distract attention to other topics.
- Find like-minded people. Advocate at home or set up a language learning club with friends or family members like book clubs where everyone reads one book and then discusses it. The easiest option is to go to offline courses, but you still can find someone for the company in your surroundings. Perhaps it was your friend who was looking for a company for himself to study a foreign language and it is with him that you will go to a country where people speak your target language as their native.