The purpose of yoga is to exercise your mind and body. To do so, you need to be able to focus on each bend and breath.
We’ve written these article to detail some accessories that can help you do just that!
The easiest one to start off with. It’s possible to do yoga without a mat, but having it allows us to do so much more. A mat will allow you to claim your space in a busy studio or on an isolated park. This will help to clear your mind of any distractions. A good mat will provide support for your feet and prevent you from slipping and sliding away!
If yoga is a part of your daily routine, you definitely need something that is durable and of a high quality mat is a better option. While some of these might be a bit expensive, the investment is worth it.
The purpose of yoga is to exercise your mind and body. To do so, you need to be able to focus on each bend and breath. The last thing you need is anything to distract you from that. The clothes that we wear are an essential part of each practice. They need to support our practice instead of hinder it.
The last thing you want is for your yoga practice to be impeded by the length or style of your clothes. You should avoid clothes that are unflattering to your body shape or feel uncomfortable. There are different types of yoga wear out there for you to choose from:
- Full Length vs. Capri – The length of your yoga pant is mostly a matter of personal preference. However, for those that need some hot yoga pants, you should consider wearing as little as possible. Capris or even shorts can be a great option.
- Straight Leg vs. Leggings – This is mostly a matter of personal preference. Which style fits your legs the best? However, do consider that during class, straight legs can flap around.
- Gentle vs. Vigorous Yoga – If your yoga practice leans towards the calm and gentle, comfort and fit are your priorities when choosing clothes. We recommend you look for looser cuts, full length yoga pants and soft materials. But if your practice is more vigorous, consider lightweight and breathable options.
We’ve all been there during yoga practice: the heart starts pumping and the heat starts building up. Suddenly, you find yourself slipping and knocked out of your once peaceful moment. Your yoga practice can go from calm to stressful without a yoga towel. These are even more useful if you practice vinyasa or hot yoga.
A yoga towel will improve your practice by wicking away sweat from your body or from your mat. Look for something that is durable and lightweight. They should also be easy to care for and at a good price point.
Yoga Block and Strap
These props and accessories can help to lengthen, deepen, and soften each yoga pose:
- Block: This is a soft rectangular prop that will aid you in your yoga journey. They can be incorporated into almost any posture and help in creating extension and length. These are especially good for those who need a extra few inches to connect their fingers to the mat.
- Strap: a great accessory that can help make postures more accessible. Even if you’re naturally flexible, a yoga strap can help to increase stretch and improve overall posture. They can help to support and stabilize each posture and assist with balance & strength in balancing postures.
We recommend you use them to improve your yoga practice. Remember, they are meant to be used to avoid injury, not to cause it.
The clothes that we wear are an essential part of each practice. They need to support our practice instead of hinder it. Therefore, when choosing the right yoga top, make sure that they allow a full range of motion and feel supportive but not tight.
When performing different postures, consider a yoga top that is either form fitting or you can tuck when you are inverted. You can opt for a tank top that allows you to try different positions without moving everything around too much. Also, consider one that offers a little support or has an incorporated bra pad.
The practice of yoga is all about exercising the mind and body. It has too many benefits to name: from weight loss, improved flexibility, and increased strength to liberating the mind and elevating the spirit!
Do you have any accessories that you recommend? What style do you prefer during yoga practice?
Let us know in the comments!